Jenkins Fenstermaker, PLLC

Local: 304.521.4571

Toll Free: 866.617.4736

Quality. Dedication. Service.

Posts tagged "Inheritance Rights of Biological Children"

May a Child Inherit from a Parent in WV after Parental Rights Are Terminated?

In West Virginia (WV) as in many states, ownership of a decedent's property often passes according to the terms in the decedent's will. When the decedent did not leave a valid will, his or her property passes according to the law of intestate succession. In such cases, the property passes to the decedent's child if there is no surviving spouse. But what happens if the decedent's parental rights had been terminated? Can a child inherit from a parent in WV after the termination of parental rights? The West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals recently answered that question in the negative.
Jenkins Fenstermaker, PLLC Best | Client Recommended | 2019